17 September, 10am-1pm.
Meet at indoor range.
Our one-day beginners’ map-reading skills course for adults and teens covers all you need to explore the world around you with a map and compass. Perfect if you’re taking up a new outdoor activity, want to reduce your reliance on smart devices, or just want to gain confidence in the great outdoors.
Saturday 17th September, 10am-1pm
Note: when booking above, make sure you select the date and time, even though there is only one date and time available – our booking system is a bit odd that way!
- No experience needed
- Meet like-minded people
- Be more confident outdoors
- Keep yourself safe when out exploring
- Reduce your reliance on your smartphone
- Learn an extra skill for camping, hiking and kayaking trips
- Interactive, expert instruction tailored to your ability – beginners and all questions welcome
- Explore beautiful countryside at the weekend
- Easy to get here by train from London, Colchester, Chelmsford, Marks Tey, Witham, Brentwood and Kelvedon
The three-hour group course is led by our head coach Mark and includes a talk, discussion, exercises and a chance to practise your new navigation skills with a gentle walk around the north Essex countryside surrounding the activity centre.
“Everything you need to understand the world around you can be folded down and put into your pocket.”
- Compass use
- Understanding symbols and scales on different OS maps (provided)
- Reading contour lines
- Finding and using landmarks to get your bearings
- Orientation and triangulation
- How to get yourself un-lost
- Includes a scenic walk following a paper map with your guide
What to bring:
If you have your own compass and/or OS map and would like to use it, bring it. If not, don’t worry: we will provide maps and equipment for your use during the course.
- Sunhat, suncream and/or raincoat – let the weather decide!
- Comfortable, waterproof walking shoes
- Flask or water bottle
- Arrive dressed for the activity
Can I come solo?
Yes! We encourage you to come alone if you want to. If you’re new to outdoor adventure and are looking to meet others like you, you might find them here.
Can I bring my child?
This session is mainly for adults and teens, and the learning will be pitched at a level suitable for ages 13+. However, if you’d like to bring younger children to learn alongside you then you can – please just book them in and let us know their age in the notes. We also offer a children’s map-reading course which is suitable for a younger age group.
What is the group size?
So that everyone gets a good level of support from the coach, the maximum group is six for this activity. If you are part of a club or organisation with more than six interested attendees, we may be able to arrange a separate exclusive date for you. Please contact us to discuss.