24 September, 10am – 1pm
Meet at indoor range.
Our one-day beginners’ map-reading skills course for children and their guardians covers all you need to start your young ones off exploring the world around you with a map and compass. Great for families who regularly walk, camp and explore together and want to take the next step into understanding the great outdoors. Suitable for supervised children aged 8 to 13.
Saturday 24th September, 10am-1pm
Note: when booking above, make sure you select the date and time, even though there is only one date and time available – our booking system is a bit odd that way!
- No experience needed
- Help children learn to keep themselves safe when out exploring
- Reduce reliance on smartphones
- Build skills and independence for later life
- Learn an extra skill for camping, hiking and kayaking trips
- Interactive, expert instruction pitched at the right level for young people – all questions welcome!
- Explore beautiful countryside at the weekend
- Easy to get here by train from London, Colchester, Chelmsford, Marks Tey, Witham, Brentwood and Kelvedon
The three-hour group course is led by our head coach Mark and includes a talk, questions and answers, hands-on learning and a chance to practise your new navigation skills with a gentle walk around the stunning countryside surrounding the activity centre.
“Everything you need to understand the world around you can be folded down and put into your pocket.”
- How maps and compasses work
- How to know which direction you’re going in and how far away something is
- Why paper maps are still important (and useful!)
- What the symbols mean on different OS maps (provided)
- How to predict hills and slopes on your walk using a map
- Finding and using landmarks to get your bearings
- How to get yourself un-lost
- Put your skills into practice on a walk following a paper map with your guide and parent/guardian
What to bring:
If you have your own compass and/or OS map and would like to use it, bring it. If not, don’t worry: we will provide maps and equipment for your use during the course.
- Sunhat, suncream and/or raincoat – let the weather decide!
- Comfortable, waterproof walking shoes
- Flask or water bottle
- Arrive dressed for the activity
Can I drop my child off?
Sorry, this isn’t a drop-off session and we ask that an adult stays with the child for this course. You don’t need to pay for yourself – just the child taking part.
Do you offer this for teens/adults too?
This course is pitched for ages 8 to 13, but we offer a course for adults and teens (13+) too.
What is the group size?
The maximum group is six for this activity (you’re welcome to come as a one or two!).
If you are part of a club or organisation with more than six interested attendees, we may be able to arrange a separate exclusive date for you. Please contact us to discuss.